The Guilford Free Library
is one of the oldest continuously operating public libraries in Vermont. It was founded in 1890 as the result of a bequest from Cynthia King. The money she left to the town of Guilford, Vermont was for the purchase of books. The catch, the town would have to build or acquire a building. The current home of the library was built in 1891 on land owned by William Barney. The cost of the building was $300. The Guilford Free Library opened on July 2, 1892.
There is information that, prior to this, the town of Guilford maintained a small public library from approximately 1790 to 1815. This certainly makes the town of Guilford one of the earliest supporters of literature in the nation.
Each year Town Meeting appropriates money in support of the library and its building. Each year the Guilford Free Library trustees raise money to purchase new books and provide programs.
Laura Lawson Tucker, co-chair 257-7024
Judith Serkin, co-chair
Friends and Volunteers
Laura Lawson Tucker